You may not have given any thought to how websites use data to improve their services, measure how popular the site is, or make sure that you receive content or adverts of interest to you. These processes require information to be collected and processed. This commonly includes information about the devices you use (such as laptops and mobile phones), your location and information obtained from your browsing activities. This information is collected using cookies and other similar technologies such as tag, pixels and device identifiers which are deployed on or collected from your device when you land on a website or access content through a mobile app.
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our Site. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our Site.
- Analytical/performance cookies. These are cookies that allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors to our Site and to see how visitors move around our Site when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our Site works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and anonymous(i.e. we could not identify you using the data, nor would you be identifiable to us).
- Functionality cookies. These are cookies that enable us to recognise you when you return to our Site. This means we can personalise our content for you and remember your preferences.
- Targeting cookies: These cookies record your visit to our Site, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our Site more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties (such as our third-party advertising partners) for this purpose and to ensure that adverts that you see displayed are relevant to you.
- Some of the cookies that we use are placed on your device (i.e. start collecting data) each time you visit our Site and are deleted when you close your browser. These cookies are known as ‘session cookies’. Some other cookies have a longer lifetime (which varies cookie by cookie) and will be stored on your device until their expiration date. These are known as ‘persistent cookies’.
You will normally see a message on our Site before we store a cookie on your computer which describes the types of cookies we use and what information they might collect. We will not place (and we won’t permit third parties to place) analytical or performance cookies or functionality cookies on your device when using our Site unless you have told us that you are happy to do so.
You can also block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies – and your browser provider may communicate with you to ask you to confirm what settings you want. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including strictly necessary cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our Site.
You can set preferences for how Google advertises to you using the Google Ad Preferences page, and if you want to, you can opt out of interest-based advertising entirely by using Google’s opt out tool.